Monday, 31 August 2015

Sampling Annie Sloan

I've read and heard so much about the joys of Annie Sloan's chalk paints that when I inherited a slightly tatty egg stand, I felt it was really time I joined in and had a go myself. I picked up a few sample pots of chalk paint as well as a sample pot of clear wax in a cute little shop in Falmouth- Sweet pea and Betty.
This is what I started with

The real selling point of these paints is that there is basically no prep work involved. The paint adheses to the wood regardless of its finish. You can buy special brushes to apply it, but for my starter project I was keeping things low cost.

I applied one coat of Louis Blue to the stand;


Once dry, I went over it with a coat of the clear wax. To begin with I was a bit worried about the finish as it seemed tacky but giving it a bit of a buff with some dry kitchen roll finished it off nicely. The wax does seem to do a great job protecting the paint so I would definitely recommend using it. 


And that's basically all there is to it! If like me you have been wondering about the merits of these paints, I thoroughly recommend picking up a sample pot or two and seeing for yourself. This transformation cost little more than a tenner and there is plenty of paint left over as well as lots more techniques to get creative with!

No comments:

Post a Comment