Monday, 25 January 2016

A thought for 2016

So did anyone watch the queens speech on Christmas day?! I must confess I never have done before but did for the first time this year. HM was talking about how it had been quite a 'dark' year in many ways, think; Paris attacks, flooding, refugee crisis etc and it is easy to see where she was coming from. In my personal life, 2015 was a pretty tough year and included a fair number of unexpected trials. The Queens message didn't stop there however and she quoted the passage from John 1v1 in the bible, which says; 'The light shines in the darkness but the darkness has not overcome it.'

Personally I found it a really encouraging message (you never know, I might even watch again next year!) It is easy in the midst of things to start feeling hopeless and as though evil, be it in the form of famine, war, terrorism or natural disaster, is taking control. What this passage is saying is that although these terrible goings on are happening all around us, they are not enough to overcome the good that is also in the world. 

I decided it was time to focus on the good a bit more. I am determined that 2016 will go better than 2015 and I came up with this little crafty project to help me on my way. (Lets face it, all good ideas need a crafty project to help!)

This is my jar of hope for 2016. As you can see in the picture there are some little tags attached to the outside. As the year progresses I plan to write the good things that happen on these tags and post them in the jar. At the end of the year, no matter what else has gone on, I will be able to look back over all the good things from 2016. 

    

I used a large flat sided kilner jar and covered it in torn pieces of blue mulberry paper glued on with a mix of pva and water. This represented the 'darkness.' I added a moon shaped mask and inked on a moon and stars using a Lavinia stamp. I also added brilliance moonlight white ink directly over some areas.

I cut four panels of K and Co paper, used a circle punch to create inverted round corners and drew a border with a brown fineliner. I then stamped Crafty individuals 'stamp a meadow' set and stuck each panel to the jar. I wanted to show plants growing in the night as a way of representing light in the darkness.

I printed the text using hero arts alphabet sets and cut the individual words out. Finally I finished off using bits and bobs, a few buttons and a ribbon from crafty ribbons. 


For the tags I printed on scrapbook paper from my stash using Crafty individuals stamps from a variety of sets (I'm absolutely loving the dragonflies at the moment!) and giving them a more varied look by applying bits of DI in tumbled glass. 


As you can see for the lid I die cut a scalloped circle, added more stamping and distress ink and finished off with buttons.

Thanks for stopping by today. I'd love to hear if anyone else is doing a new year inspired make?

Id like to enter this make in to the following challenges;



9 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed reading your post Lou. I hope 2016 brings you all that you hope for. Wonderful project. So many fab ideas to inspire. Thank you for playing along with the Crafty Individuals challenge.
    Flo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a brilliant idea, I hope at the end of the year you have the jar full of positive tags! Thank you for playing with us in to the Crafty Individuals challenge :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful project, love all the tags and the pretty stamping

    Thanks for joining us at Stamping Sensations this month

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea behind your makes. Let's hope 2016 is a good year. Beautiful projects and thanks for joining in the Crafty Individuals challenge this month. Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lou, I love your jar and message too! And I recognize ribbon... Many thanks to join us in Crafty Ribbons Challenge this week and good luck from Christelle DT;
    http://coccinelledemoiselle.blogs.marieclaireidees.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous project .... hope 2016 is a good year! Thank you for joining in with the Craft Stamper challenge ..... Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great project!!! Very clever, and your jar full of light and hope despite the darkness also present, is very beautiful Lou! Loving reading you and your project, really awesome. Thanks for joining in the CI challenge this month, good luck! Coco x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love this Lou!
    Thanks for joining us at Crafty Ribbons (and for using our ribbon too! Bonus points!!) :D
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very good idea. Love how you decorated the jar. It's so beautiful. Thank you for sharing your wonderful project with us at Stamping Sensation.
    Eret x

    ReplyDelete