Saturday, 19 March 2016

What's outside your window?

This week I have had the honor of being a guest designer at Less is More. Their theme for the week is 'What's outside you window?'

For me, the answer to this is the stunning Devon countryside with occasional glimpses of Dartmoor rising up in the distance.  I hope I shall never take these beautiful views for granted and couldn't be given such a topic without acknowledging them. With that in mind, the first card I wish to share with you is this one;


The window frame is a sizzix die cut, mounted on 3D foam mounts. I used a selection of distress and versa colour inks to create the landscape. I tore along the edge of a piece of paper and used this as a mask while I inked, starting with the sky and working downwards to create the layered hills.
 


The flower in the vase and the sentiment come from a papermania stamp set. I coloured them with promarkers, cut out and again fixed with 3D foam mounts. For a final flourish I coated the flower and vase with glossy accents. 












And here is our lovely view, just so I haven't kept it all to myself!


For the second card on this theme, I wanted to play around with the idea of the windows a bit more. I was trying to think about how to make them a little different. I came up with the idea of portholes as they have the more unusual shape.

At this point I'm sure you're expecting me to tell you I die cut the circles. Alas no. For some reason I've never got as far as purchasing a circle die set so the inside of the circle was punched out with a woodware punch. I have a strange compass type thing with a blade attached which while rummaging through my stash I occasionally stab my finger on (why didn't it come with a cover?!) Imagine my joy when I realised I finally had a use for it! After several attempts I got a satisfactory measurement and cut the outer edge of the portholes. 

I gilded them in bronze Stix2 foil and added brown brads. The inside of the portholes was done by masking the card and stamping a wave stamp from a papermania set called 'Ahoy there.' I added the sentiment from this set and a doodled border in blue fineliner. To finish off I added wink of stella to the waves for a bit of sparkle.




This close up shows the shine a little better.

Thanks for stopping by today, I'd love to hear what you think of these projects, do you have a favourite? Please call again soon!


27 comments:

  1. I love both these cards (and the glorious view from your window) but think your clever portholes make this card my favourite. Isn't it great to discover a use for something you have had for ages and have wondered why you a ought it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both cards are gorgeous but loving the second one. So clever with the portholes, the effect of them and those swishing waves, so very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the UK it has such amazing landscapes! your card is perfect, love the mountains you've sponged and the porthole son the other are so much fun, well done

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the UK it has such amazing landscapes! your card is perfect, love the mountains you've sponged and the porthole son the other are so much fun, well done

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two gorgeous cards Louise! You are very lucky with those views, especially when I compare them to my window... I'll definitely have to "imagine and dream" for my card! WOW to the portholes. So creative both as an idea and how you made them. Just the sort of card my Dad would love. I may pinch your idea for his birthday! Thanks so much for the inspiration and congrats on the guest designer spot - very well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous cards Lou. Your dreamy landscape really captures the essence of your photo. Love the portholes too - that's a fun card. Thanks for being our guest designer.
    Sharon xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lou
    I have just popped over from LIM to have a closer look at your card - stunning!
    Fabulous tutorial for your first card too. As a fellow Devonian I have to say this one is my favourite!
    I was looking for a 'follow me' button on your blog but couldn't find one so I will pop back again soon!
    Eve xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on being a feattured artist at LIM with two beautiful views how lucky you are to have such a view. Both cards are beautiful and especially love the second card so clever.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful work!! I adore the portholes and am glad I came over to your blog to see the how of it as the additional photos show it off much more. Congrats on the guest designer spot, well earned!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a stunning real life view Lou! Both cards are fab, but I am in awe of the way you created your portholes - and the effect you got. What a brilliant take on the theme, thanks so much for guesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Striking, clever and totally beautiful cards Lou. You've certainly got some breathtaking scenery there and those portholes are just perfect on your second card. Thanks for being our guest designer for this one. Sarah (Less is More)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Striking, clever and totally beautiful cards Lou. You've certainly got some breathtaking scenery there and those portholes are just perfect on your second card. Thanks for being our guest designer for this one. Sarah (Less is More)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What wonderful work Louise and we are delighted to have you as our Guest this week! You certainly are lucky with your 'real life' views and your card reflects it beautifully!
    The portholes are just SO innovative! Brilliantly executed too!
    Thanks so much
    Chrissie
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
  14. What wonderful work Louise and we are delighted to have you as our Guest this week! You certainly are lucky with your 'real life' views and your card reflects it beautifully!
    The portholes are just SO innovative! Brilliantly executed too!
    Thanks so much
    Chrissie
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
  15. Two fabulous CAS creations! Congrats on your GD spot at LIM!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your port holes they are so different and fun. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love both your cards especially the port holes - and what a beautiful view you have out of your window. Very lucky

    ReplyDelete
  18. Two beautiful cards and a breathtaking photo, Lou!! Thanks for the inspiration on Less is More this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Two beautiful cards and a breathtaking photo, Lou!! Thanks for the inspiration on Less is More this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Two very different, but equally gorgeous cards. Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous cards Lou, both are absolutely fabulous and I love the cruise ship one, very clever! :-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  22. The first card is such a beauty! You are so lucky to have such a vieuw! And the second is so original and super CAS! Great to see your work and thank you for your comment! Have a colourfull week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great cards Louise, loving them !!

    ReplyDelete
  24. A couple of stunning cards. I especially like the stunning view from your window.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Two great cards Louise, I especially love the portholes - so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful view and I love your cards, the porthole one is totally inspired :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello Louise and thank you for your comment on my card.
    I love both cards, the one with the sponged landscape is so beautiful, what a great way to create hills.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Maria Rodriguez.

    ReplyDelete