Sunday, 23 April 2017

Oxidised!



Good morning! 
Here to share with you a make for the craft barn using distress oxide inks.

The basic plan:


I started with a bit of good ol’ ink smooshing…


Followed by some yummy texture paste… (I know you’ve seen the stencil before but I do rather love it!)

Stamping some feathers in Distress Oxide ink on tissue paper while the texture paste dries…

It’s funny how techniques come and go. 
I was about to painstakingly cut around 
these and try to give them a soft feathery 
look, when I remembered
something I used to do with mulberry paper a lot…


A quick wizz around the shapes with a wet paintbrush and 30 seconds later…

Presto! Muchos time saved 😃

Back to the canvas....
and it is time to really start having fun. 
Plenty more ink added (mostly vintage photo, walnut stain and peeled paint) I also used a wet baby wipe to take back some of the ink in places to create more variation.

Adding water is what really makes the 
oxides come alive… 
suddenly they spread revealing a whole host 
of the colours they are made up of.




Starting to get really involved now… 
I add some brushos. 

Initially on top of the wet canvas, 
then after it had dried I add more 
before splattering with more water.



Now completely carried away, 
out comes the white gelly roll pen
 (another staple favourite) 
for a bit of doodling.



No shortcuts this time 
I stamp and cut around two birds 
from the Bo Bunny set. 

Distress Oxides make a lovely paint too- 
I just smooshed a bit on my non-stick mat
and picked them up with a wet paintbrush.



Remember the feathers? –
 time to add them back in. 

I tried using pva but being a 
water based glue it made the
ink run. 

For take-two I used pritt stick
and it was fine. 

Also added in at this point are
branches adapted from the 
wildflowers die set and coated

in more Oxide ink.



‘Lifted’ with a handwritten sentiment on 
scraps of card with fossilized amber Oxide ink 
blended on and broken china 
splattered over the top.



And just when I thought I had finished 
I suddenly found myself with the 
white gelly roll pen in hand again 
and thus a border was added!"




6 comments:

  1. Hi Lou,
    wonderful background and amazing work! Thanks for joining us at Penny Black & More and good luck!
    x Daniela (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing project! Love the step by step of how you created it. Thanks for joining us at Stamping Sensations.
    Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful creation! Great texture! Thanks for joining us at Stamping Sensations this month and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work! The scene you've created is amazing! Love your way to use stencil! Thanks for joining us this week on Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog! barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. A super woodland inspired creation, thanks so much for joining in our Spring theme at Penny Black and More challenge and also this month at Stamping Sensations.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fab creation, thanks for joining Penny Black & More @ Allsorts challenge, good luck.
    Happy crafting
    Tracy x

    ReplyDelete